Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Greetings from Cloud 9

Yes, it's true! We got THE CALL. I still can't believe it, even though it's been 9 hours since we got it. It's been a whirlwind of a day as you can imagine.

So I'm sitting at my desk, trying to wrap up some things before we all leave to go to the company Thanksgiving luncheon. Every year they cater food, set up an unused floor in our building and invite the whole company to eat. It's about 10 minute to 1:00, and we're all supposed to leave at 1:00. The phone rings and it's the agency, and I of course think "ooooh could this be the call?" But then she starts talking about Thanksgiving, and then asks about a fee we haven't paid yet, all nice enough, but made me think "nah, she would have started out with that kind of news". So then she starts talking about something and I think she's telling me about a holiday social event, but the phone connection gets really bad and I can't hear her. We do a 5 minute scene from the Verizon commercial - Can you hear me now - and I manage to tell her I'll call her back. When I hang up I realize I didn't have her phone number. I search around a bit, and then decide to look up the agency website. I get interrupted a few times but eventually get the number and call her back. She was all exasperated when we finally had a clear connection, and she says "what I was TRYING to tell you was that there is a little boy in Colombia waiting for you".
...
...

Uh, come again?

My mind went into overdrive and I vaguely recall her telling me about paperwork and visas, and I finally managed to get out WHAT IS HIS NAME AND WHEN WAS HE BORN. Oh yes, she said, I have that info right here! SO my wonderful internet friends, we are the proud parents of one baby boy born September 1, 2006. I wrote down some chickenscratch with my shaking hands, and I think it says that he is now 11lbs, 7oz. We are still debating on whether to keep his given name...we kind of like it, but it's not all that common. She emailed me his picture and honestly, he is the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen. I immediately called my husband and told him that I had good news and bad news. The bad news was, that we would have to cancel the Florida trip we booked for Dec 7th. The good news of course, was that he had a son. (A son! We have a son!). I'm not going to post his picture here quite yet, it's still a little early for that.

And the craziest part is, we leave WEDNESDAY! As in THIS FREAKING WEDNESDAY!!! Uh, yeah, we're screwed because we do not have anything ready but I don't even care. All that stuff will fall into place. I will be a shopping fiend this weekend! Note to self: Call and ask when the hell that crib is getting delivered! We do have a bit of scrambling to do to make sure we have all the paperwork and stuff done before we leave. We're actually cutting things really close, so it's going to take some fancy footwork (translation: showing of baby pictures to government officials and begging, crying and pleading to speed things up) but I think it will all work out!

We told everyone we know except for the hubby's side. We're seeing them tomorrow for Thanksgiving, and we want to announce it in person. Tot ell my parents, we had made up a little card that said "You are the proud grandparents of x!" with his picture. I walked in the house and said "you aren't going to believe this" and handed it to my mom. She scrunches up her face and says "Who's X?" Mom, read it again. Still nothing. MOM. READ IT AGAIN. OUT LOUD. Yeah, she finally got it. Seems she thought I was showing her evidence of yet another person having a baby before us. Nope! We had champagne, and then proceeded to call everyone we knew. Lots of screams. Lots of crying.

I'll do a separate post about what the next steps are in the process. AS I said, I have alot to do over the next few days. And, Colombia has only one trip, but it is a long one.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, I know we will. I have alot to be thankful for, and besides the obvious, I am thankful for this wonderful support community that has really helped me through this whole process. Blessings to you and your families.

Now I need to try to get some sleep!

28 comments:

Jenni said...

YES!!!!! I'm so excited for you! What wonderful Thanksgiving news! The kids are in bed right now, but I assure you, tomorrow morning, when they wake up, we're all going to do a happy dance (you've seen them dance - not pretty, but it gets the point across)!

CONGRATULATIONS! I can't wait to see pictures and learn more about your baby boy!

Kerry said...

Holy crap!!! I am so excited for you guys!!! A beautiful little baby boy of your very own. You must be flying right now. Have a very safe flight and be sure to keep us all posted. Happy Thanksgiving!!! Huge hugs and all my love to you!!!

Elle said...

Holy mary mother of god freeeeking no WAY!!!! I am sooooooooo over the top excited for you. A BOY!!!! We need more boys around this joint. OMG I can't wait to see photos.

You are going to be a mom! And you'll have him home for Christmas!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So unbelievably happy for you! All the congratulations to you and your hubby and, of course, to your precious baby for joining your family so soon.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm so excited for you my eyes are actually tearing up a little! Can't wait to hear stories of how you schmooze your way through the bureaucracy.

Not to be corny, but you all really have something to be thankful for this year!

Anonymous said...

Congratullations!!
You are gonna have a wonderfull Christmas and New Year in Colombia!

Try to keep the name, you will never regret it. When you write the letters back to FANA you have to use the original name, it feels much more real if it is the same name you use everyday. All adoptees I know that have their original name are very happy that thier adoptive parents kept it.

Congratulations again and good luck!

Anonymous said...

WOW !!! yea!! I am so happy! This is awesome... I can't believe it! I had chills reading your post... I am soooo thrilled for all of you...

Lots of love and gratitude for you and your good news...

Jill

Sonya said...

So exciting! Congratulations on your son. I'm so happy for you! I can't believe how quickly you have to get ready to go get him. Have a safe trip; I can't wait to read all about it.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. What a perfect time to get your referral. Good luck over the next few days. I really, really hope you'll be able to post from Colombia.

A Room to Grow said...

great news and perfect timing! which i'm sure you had planned all along! congrats and have a wonderful holiday, get packing!!!!

OHN said...

I stumbled upon your blog from another~congratulations! We also adopted-and had 3 days notice. Called on the Monday after Thanksgiving, met our son on Thursday. We had NOTHING ready (too depressing to have an empty room waiting). At that point I didnt care if he had to sleep in a basket till we got a crib, we were thrilled as I am sure you are now.I will keep checking back to see how things are going. I know how you are feeling today and it is tremendous :)

Melissa said...

OMG! That is awesome news! When I bring V home we will have to get together and celebrate! Yay! I couldn't be happier. You are so lucky it is just one trip. What a holiday blessing.

Barely Sane said...

Well now... like I haven't cried enough this week, I log on and see your post and immediately the waterworks start again. Tears of utter joy for you & DH.

CONGRATS!!!

I am so freakin excited for you guys. I was so hoping you would get this call before Xmas and you DID!!!

Happy Thanksgiving indeed. Have fun shopping - I suspect I'll be doing the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie,
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SON!!!!
Greeting from Bogota. We are here at Betty`s Place. If you still come this year we can probably met.

Nadine from Luxembourg

Anonymous said...

This is the absolute best best news I have heard in a looooong time! I loved the part about "There is a little boy in Colombia waiting for you" I love the image of that- he is yours and he is just waiting for you like you HAE been waiting for him. Wonderful!!! What a Thanksgiving!

Stacey, Mike and las cinco chicas locas said...

Hey sister..
I'll see you in Bogota.
We're at Paris!

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I saw your very first post. It has been a long road to arrive at this day! I am SO happy for you! What a wonderful Thanksgiving gift! You are going to have a crazy time getting ready like we did- but you will make it! I am SO happy for you!!

Anonymous said...

Have been reading your blog for a little while I was so happy to read your news!!!
CONGRATULATIONS! CONGRATULATIONS!CONGRATULATIONS! CONGRATULATIONS!

I cant wait to see pics of you all!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very exciting- congrats!

beagle said...

Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you!

bethee said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to hear more!!

Anonymous said...

** happy dance ** happy dance **

Wooohoooo!!!!!!

How did I miss this post BTW?

Miss Scarlett said...

Oh! I knew it. I knew that call had to come soon.
I am so so happy for you.
I cannot even believe it. I can't even believe I didn't know about the new posts here! Bloglines I oughta...
I am seriously overjoyed for you both!!
Congratulations!
How wonderful is this?!

ferenge mama said...

OMG!!!!!


I'm SO SO happy for you!!!!!

Can't believe I miss checking your blog for ONE day, and you got THE CALL!!

You must be over the moon.

Alleen said...

Cograts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, you get to bring him home right away???? Sorry - not familiar with Colombia.

Laura said...

Wow! Congratulations! What an ordeal, while getting the "call"!!!
My husbands cousin, was adopted from Columbia (this was 25 years ago).
I can't believe you are leaving so soon.
Have a wonderful and safe trip.
Laura

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD!!! While I've been lost in hard-drive despair, your world just got wonderful! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I"m so thrilled for you! Wow-- quite simply wow! I'm so happy... what a wonderful way to go into Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! I could not be happier for you!