Monday, October 30, 2006

National Infertility Awareness Week

Wow. I was astounded by the response to my post about pregnancy. I had no idea that so many people felt the same way…even some of you who had actually been pregnant! I thought I was in the minority, but apparently not. I would also like to specifically thank my readers who are “breeders" (you know I mean that in the most loving way possible). It takes a bit of courage to regularly post on an infertile’s blog, and I appreciate that you have the guts to do it. It is always good to get your perspective on things, not to mention that it’s good for you guys to remind us you’re not all bad!!

This week is National Infertility Awareness Week.

There are many things you can do this week, but I urge you to check out Infertility’s Common Thread movement. A description of this movement (source & more info here) is as follows:

"For anyone who has ever had a miscarriage, struggled with pregnancy, and all things infertile...there is a movement upon us that you might want to join. It's rather simple actually: a discreet ribbon on your right wrist to signal to others that they are not alone in their struggles.

As someone who has had 5 m/c but am currently 5 months pregnant (YEAH), I wonder who looks at my big belly with sadness because they are in the month-to-month struggle. I mentioned to a friend that I wished there was some secret nod or international sign as if to say, this belly was hardwon. Well, she posted this quandary on her blog (http://www.stirrup-queens.blogspot.com/) and the response has been quite overwhelming...and a movement has been born!

The pomegranate-colored thread holds a two-fold purpose: to identify and create community between those experiencing infertility as well as create a starting point for a conversation. Women pregnant through any means, natural or A.R.T., families created through adoption or surrogacy, or couples trying to conceive during infertility or secondary infertility can wear the thread, identifying themselves to others in this silent community. At the same time, the string serves as a gateway to conversations about infertility when people inquire about its purpose. These conversations are imperative if we are ever to remove the social stigma attached to infertility.Tie on the thread because you’re not alone. Wear to make aware. Join us in starting this conversation about infertility by purchasingthis pomegranate-coloured thread (#814 by DMC) at any craft, knitting, or variety store such as Walmart or Target. Tie it on your right wrist. Notice it on others. Just thought I would pass the word along!"

I plan on making my bracelet tonight and wearing it long after this week is over. I hope the movement of the Pomegranate Thread continues. I will wear it proudly when I am playing with my children, as a sign to all that there is life after infertility. Perhaps someone just starting down that road will see it and it will give them hope. Or maybe just comfort that they are not alone. I think it is important to keep this link even after we adopt. I hope you will consider wearing it.

Also PLEASE POST THIS on your own blog to spread awareness of this movement. Thanks!!

14 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Thank you so much for posting it! I'm wearing my thread too.

Denise :o) said...

Very cool idea. Count me in!!

Barely Sane said...

I'm game!

Anonymous said...

Just dropped by to see if you had got THAT one magic call. Maybe because my magic call #2 happened exactly 4 years ago. And for what I read on your previous post I think you never ever should let cell phone batteries dye while somewhere out there there is someone just waiting to jump into your heart forever.

beagle said...

What a great idea!

Jenni said...

I love this idea. I'm going to make a bracelet as well, and wil post something on my blog.

Chelsi said...

I'm in, too. I'll pick up some thread this week!!

Anonymous said...

I had read about this previously and think it's a fantastic idea. I'll have to keep an eye out for the pomegranate thread. Even though we got pregnant easily with an IUI, there's much more to our story than I've shared on my blog. It was a 4 year long struggle to get to this point.

Jenny said...

I love that you found this. Love it.
It is nice to know that somewhere somehow we are acknowledged!

Lauri said...

great idea

Amy Lane said...

I can manage a burgundy thread--I'll do it right now... (It will look pomegranite, I promise.) I know I'm one of your breeders, but you're right--because I have four children now, it's easy for people to forget that Mate and I tried for nearly 3 years to get pregnant with the 1st, and nearly 9 to get pregnant with the third. (In fact, we tried to get pregnant with those two for so long that the 2nd and 4th children were a total surprise.) Sometimes I wish I had a way to show people that, yes, I have four children now, but it wasn't a walk in the park. Thank you:-)

avonlea said...

That's a great idea! It would be so nice to know who gets it before either one of us opens her mouth.

Miss Scarlett said...

Oh - I love the pomegranate thread. My friend just had her 2nd child. Her and her husband had a very difficult time conceiving naturally and needed some 'help' as you referred to it in another post.
I am so sorry to read there is still stigma attached to infertility. That is cruel. It makes no sense to me.
I will totally mention this movement on my blog.

Miss Scarlett said...

Right - that operator made absolutely no sense and I hope she knows it now.
What kind of reasoning was that? You were totally right - unless of course the refund department has access to secret camera footage at their fingertips that they don't share with lowly operators.
Get an extra battery!