Friday, May 11, 2007

10 Years and we never had a fight....

Yesterday was my 10 year wedding Anniversary! It’s hard to fathom that it’s been that long…harder still to believe we are together 15 years in total. I hardly remember the people we were back then. We have come such a very long way. We struggled a lot in the beginning, although if you ask him, he doesn’t remember that. Which is good I think. We are very different people and living together at first was hard. We still aren’t the best communicators; but we’re still working on that. Through the infertility years he always made it clear that we could stop treatment whenever I wanted, and that adoption was always a good option. The most memorable words he has ever said to me, more meaningful than “I do”, were the words “I love you no matter what” said to me while I was sobbing after another failed cycle.

Having kids doesn’t improve your marriage, we know that, but having gone through this journey together helps us to understand what really matters in life. He is still the nicest person I have ever met, and is my very best friend. He is kind and sensitive and the most amazing dad.

We went to a local pub for dinner with the boy. We were going to do something more fancy, but really all we wanted to do was be together at home.

I’ve been tagged for a meme by Melissa, and since I’ve sort of done it once already, this time I will honor my husband by giving you 8 facts/habits about him.

1. He can be a spokesperson for Honda. He has owned 5 in his lifetime, and even bought a red civic hatchback twice. Who buys the same car twice in a row, let alone a red hatchback??

2. He has this weird habit of running his fingers along the edge of any fabric. He started this as a baby as he ran his fingers along the silky edge of his blanket. Now he does the same thing to every fabric edge – our quilt, the pillow cases, the hem of his shirt, the curtains behind the couch…it’s the funniest thing. Sometimes in bed I’ll feel my blanket being slowly pulled and I’ll have to yell STOP!! He doesn’t even realize he’s doing it half the time.

3. He has a serious addiction to three things: Magazines, grooming products and organization containers. We have an abundance of all of these things in my house and much money is wasted on them. It drives me nuts.

4. He was once a clown in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. He still has the rainbow wig. He still looks like an ass in it.

5. He is enamored with spreadsheets. He loves to put information in them, inventories of things, financial info, planning lists. We constantly make fun of him for it and are always saying things like “Why don’t you go make a spreadsheet of that”.

6. He can’t dance. At all. I mean really really bad. Think Elaine Benes underwater and on crack. If he ever wants to make me laugh, he just has to start dancing. Yesterday morning he was doing a Happy Anniversary dance for me in the hallway while I was in the bathroom getting ready for work. He was trying to do the Q-tip move (rubbing your forefinger and thumb together next to your ear like you’re using a q-tip, alternating between right ear and left ear – go ahead try it, I’ll wait) from the movie Hitch, a scene where Kevin James is showing how bad he dances – BT made Kevin look like Fred Astair. I almost peed my pants.

7. He has worn a goatee for pretty much all of the 15 years I’ve known him. He shaved it off once by surprise and I was so horrified I could barely look at him. I made him grow it back immediately.

8. He can literally fall asleep within 30 seconds. We will barely be under the covers and I’ll start to hear his heavy breathing. Sometimes I have to scrape him off the ceiling when I yell “YOU CAN’T POSSIBLY BE ASLEEP ALREADY”.

16 comments:

mama k said...

Happy Anniversary!

Marriages are work, but when you've found the right person it's so worth it. : )

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

Happy Anniversary! Wow, and entire decade is an accomplishment. :-)

And the spreadsheet thing, well, he's not alone. My engagement party/shower/wedding guest list, gifts and thank you note log are ALL in a spreadsheet. DO NOT KNOCK THE SPREADSHEET.

Rachael said...

Happy Anniversary!

My husband always falls asleep instantly. Drives me crazy...I have sleep issues.

Maggie said...

Happy anniversary. It certainly sounds like you snagged one of the good ones! (There aren't many... I've looked.)

Bezzie said...

Time flies when you're having fun right?

Great post. I laughed my ass off at #6!

Rob, Dana, Murphy and Jack! said...

Congratulations! We'll celebrate our ten years in July. Maybe we'll be in Colombia celebrating! And I agree...don't knock the spreadsheet. I have my budget done on a spreadsheet. It goes back to about 1998 and is always done a year in advance! :)

Jenny and Matt said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Samantha said...

Your post made me laugh! Your husband sounds like a wonderful person. Happy anniversary!

Jenny and Matt said...

Happy Mothers' Day Starfish!

Jenni said...

Happy Anniversary Starfish! #4 totally cracked me up!

I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day with your BT and the ever-adorable SeaMonkey!

Jenny said...

mine is this week too! 10 and we have been together 15 years!!!! GAWD we are soo alike.

I love the list about him. soo sweet.

mama k said...

PS HAPPY FIRST MOTHERS DAY!!!
YAY for getting to celebrate as a mama this year!

OH and I tagged you on my blog. : )

Lauren said...

Happy Anniversary!

ps. love the list

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Loved the list.

Jennefer said...

Happy Anniversary! Your list made me realize that maybe weird habits are a guy thing. I thought it was just my husband!

S. said...

Happy Anniversary! So true about the hard times--they can really cement your relationship when you come through them together--especially when you have a beautiful baby to show for your heartache!